Skip to main content

finding my focus

Ok - now that the medical/emotional stuff is "over" and out there...I'm working on finding my focus again. Healthy eating, smart choices, and exercise.  #1 & #2 are coming along nicely (save for the animal crackers I'm about to eat) but I've been grocery shopping and I've got food to cook at home instead of random spontaneous choices that usually end up bad for me. 

Exercise it the weak point right now.  It's gorgeous out - I'm physically able to work out - I've got more time than usual due to kids' schedule being very open right now.  And yet I find myself sitting on teh computer or watching a movie (or both).  I've got a race coming up - but Sept. 18 seems so far off and I can "start tomorrow".  I know what worked before - making a calander, putting it on the fridge, and sticking to it like a job.  So why haven't I done that?!  Hmmm...I don't know.

I also need to make a calander for hubby - he wants to start working out, he's gained some weight and is wanting to just get his general health back in line.  Usually I'm really on top of getting things done for other people but I haven't made HIS calander yet either!! 

So - I say to you all now - I will do it tonight.  2 calanders - his & hers.  And the working out will start tomorrow (we will go for a walk tonight but I don't count that as "exercise" per se, just more as together time, I love hanging out and chatting with my hubby!!). 

Thanks to everyone for the comments and good wishes on my last post.  I'm sorry to everyone else who's gone through this, once, twice, or more. It's not completely out of my mind but it sure did help to write it all out.  I've been less focused on it and able to start thinking and planning for the future - you know, the one where I have 2 teenagers getting ready to move out of the house, some money in savings, and a map of the US with great motorcycle roads highlighted and waiting to be ridden!  I'm still sad and I still think about the possibilities and a small part of my brain is still shopping for tiny socks and composing nanny questionaires...but I'm working through it. 

Quick question - something I've been pondering for awhile now.  I obviously have a problem with food - but one of my biggest issues is candy.  Not that I love love love it - but that I eat eat eat it.  So, if you have foods that are especially hard for you to deal with from a compulsive point of view, do you go completely without or have you found a way to set limitations? 

I'm thinking that I need to go without.  But crimeny - it's a tough pill to swallow.  I did it before:  I haven't had caffeine for 6.5 years now.  Only what's in chocolate, nothing in beverage form.  And I did it cold turkey.  I can't remember if it was hard - it must have been.  I had a 4 liter a day Diet coke habit.  And I stopped.  And haven't had a sip since then.  Now if I had only written down my method, I could repeat it and never have candy again - what a dream that would be!!

Comments

Amanda Kiska said…
I have both quit trouble foods altogether and allowed them in in small quantities. I have decided that for me not having certain foods at all isn't realistic and it sets me up to binge. So I have them in small quantities on certain days when I've planned for it. I can't say though that I have specific foods that are really a problem for me anymore. It used to be peanut butter, but now I eat that every once in awhile without issue. If anything it is sweets, but I don't feel a huge compulsion for them anymore. It is a relief.
I think I can get myself off candy. I know it actually. But I don't know if I can get myself off baked goodies forever.
Laura said…
I don't know the answer to the go without or just limit question. I've done both methods with limited success. Right now I am trying designating 1 day a month to have my problem food (in moderation). I'll let you know how that works out.

I read your last post and I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been there and it is a grief filled process that not many understand unless they've been through it themselves. (((HUGS)))

Popular posts from this blog

Time to come clean - and start blogging again with NEWS!

I've been avoiding the blogging world - for a couple reasons.  My eating has been horrible.  Well, maybe not horrible but definately not brag-worthy or blog-worthy.  I've been embarassed at how much I've regressed back into old eating habits. The other reason is I've been keeping a secret but it's time to come clean.  I've been gaining weight - only a little - and with my doctor's full permission.  As of today, I'm 16weeks 4 days pregnant, and this one's here to stay!  I'm excited.  And nervous. And sick as a dog with morning sickness.  I've used all of the above as an excuse to jump off the wagon (and load it with junk food to drag around with me all day).  I've had chips and candy and sugar - and not in small quantities.  I now weight 205.  Up from 190.  But holding steady and fully aware of the changes I need to make - again. Mostly my problem is that I have morning sickness 24 hours a day.  It's like really bad motion sickness

Onederland - the details!

Ok - so first a confession:  I'm still weighing every day.  I just can't stop!!  end. of. story.  So instead I'm going to learn to not let the number affect me as much.  *shrug* trying something new, that's what this is all about right? So - this week I've been sitting firmly at 200.0 - day and in and day out.  So close!! Friday morning, I got on the scale and WOOT WOOT:  199.0  I was pretty excited - it finally looks like I've lost weight.  I mean - duh - I've lost weight.  But that 1 in front, that really hit home with me.  It validated my efforts.  I know I know - I shouldn't be so tied to a number.  Call the direct line to my brain and tell *IT* that for me, please.  Unfortunately that number's unlisted - even to me.  I am going to try something new.  I will be doing self affirmations every day.  I will find 5 nice things to say about the person staring me back in the mirror.  I will do it out loud.  And I will be sincere. I want to b

Today starts no sugar

This feels harder than no candy and no chips. And it started by throwing the oreos in the GARBAGE. And not the trash at my house - no, these went into the trash at the bus stop. Bye bye. (I'm imagining some homeless dude chowing down on his amazing find...) Now I need to grocery shop and fill my house with fruits and veggies! TTFN, LauraLynne